23 October 2008

Delays and annoyances

Photos aren't working. At all. Yesterday I couldn't save my full photocard to the hard drive I brought from Australia, and today when I thought I might try something else the card reader wouldn't work.

It's all a bit annoying, since I have taken some lovely photos, and the card was full in three days and now I can't delete them or I'll never be able to get them back.

Tips, hints and assurances are very welcome. Any way I can avoid spending $4000 on the amount of cards I'll need to buy if my current and usual photo-taking habits continue.

5 comments:

Dad_Baumhammer said...

sorry, can't help you - but tomorrow you get to go to la-bri!!!! praise out great god for such an opportunity!

O's said...

Try using the USB cable for your hard drive. Plug it into the camera and the computer, COPY the files to a computers internal hard drive first (keeping the photos on the camera for the moment). Then, unplug the camera, plug in the external hard drive and CUT and paste the photos from the internal hard drive to the external one.

After checking ALL your photos have copied across, eject the external drive, THEN delete them from the internal drive (if they're still there) of the computer and your camera.

Always double check you have them all and label folders appropriately (having the date in the YYYY/MM/DD format helps) before deleting anything from your camera. I lost some brilliant photos of Stonehenge thanks to bad labelling.

Megan said...

Thanks Owen! The hard drive doesn't work though, that was the original problem. Not recognised as anything that can be read from or to. I do, however, have my photos.

I'd give you some chocolate but I ate it.

O's said...

Aww :) & Aww :(

Richard said...

Hi Megan, I understand that the external HDD has failed ? but if your laptop has DVD burner then you can copy the images to your internal HDD and then burn them to DVD - you should be able to buy the blanks relatively cheaply - even given that the dollar is only worth .5 euros
then once you have checked the DVD has been burned correctly you can wipe your memory card and fill it again.

It's not unusual for people to want to show you the "best way" to get where ever - for various reasons some just want to practice their english others want other things. In Egypt the quickest way to anywhere just happens to be on the way to my / my uncle's / assorted family members / best friends shop !
Have a great time :)