The man on the train from Paris assured me in very confident tones that "It is easy to travel in Germany". He was right, but it's far far easier if you can understand German, I assume. It's really odd for me to be travelling and not to be able to make myself understood in at least a broken form of the language.
But I got here alright. And arrived in Prague central station, where not only could I not understand what was being said but I couldn't read the signs at all. After a few false starts and dodgy attempts at signaling my complete ineptitude in Czech - success! I arrived at my friend's house, exceedingly happy to be seeing her after 5 years or so (take the lesson as it is given - I am the world's worst correspondent) and happy to be in Prague.
Allow me to share with you the kinds of things you might be faced with upon entering Prague. Signs that are written in a language that can produce strĨ prst skrz krk as a functioning sentence. A bureaucratic system that was inherited from communist times. A national cuisine that shuns vegetables.
An absolutely beautiful city, made even more charming because of or perhaps despite all the above. It's the most tourist-y place I've been to so far, there are tour guides and tour groups and accents from all over the Anglophone world, and I think I overheard some Danish too (thanks, SBS and your international crime shows). But it is lovely.
And the beer isn't bad either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Megan, Great blogs, I remember many years ago on my 1st trip OS sitting on the train to Salzburg, and the realisation that I was about to arrive in a place where I knew no one and couldn't speak the language apart from the numbers 1-10 yes, no and thank you hit me.. with a sinking feeling but God was gracious and I met some americans at the Youth Hostel and was ok after that
oh also really good - the hot chocolate.
Post a Comment