Both the beginning and the end of my trip to Prague have taught me the real reason the Prague metro system exists - it's to keep people in the city and not let them leave. In the meantime you become distracted by the sights to see and the things to do and it's only when you want to get out and the map is telling you the wrong direction and the train information man is telling you that there are in fact two stations from which international trains leave and the one you're in just won't do that the whole thing makes you want to give up and stay.
Then when the station is found, the platform certain, the right bit of the platform in order to board the train in the right spot cleverly worked out - the train itself is 20 minutes late.
However, the Dresden city council have been clever enough to plant a Christmas market at the exit of the main train station - so the second you walk out there are brass quartets playing carols, cheesy carols being piped through speakers on poles, cinnamon and cloves and ginger in the air, alongside a healthy chill to the fingertips you can forget all that nonsense, take out a city plan and absolutely conquer the transport system of the new town.
I hereby crown myself the queen of transportation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
lol - battle on Megs!
I pray you don't go to Brussels... That is one incredibly difficult transport system. Even I myself, the train geek, could not make head nor tail of it.
there you go all the map reading lessons have worked! I am a success as a father! a daughter that conquers the transport system.
Ah, Owen, I'm going there after Berlin. Tips? I'll have to ask my hosts if they can pick me up somewhere...
And, ok, ok, so I didn't actually have to use my conquering skills because my host here showed up on his bicycle and we didn't go to the house straight away... but the principle still applies.
Post a Comment